If you are a pilot, instructor or an examiner, with an EU/EASA licence, you must apply to the CAA immediately for a UK licence to continue operating UK-Registered aircraft from 1 January 2023.

In April 2021, the CAA launched a new and simplified application process for those who previously held UK licences to regain them. The process also allows for EASA licence holders to gain UK licences. It will no longer be available after 31 December 2022. After this date, pilots with European licences wishing to gain their UK licence will be required to go through the full conversion process, including examinations.

More information on the application process, including processing time, costs and eligibility criteria can be found our website here.

The Government has been clear that there will be no extension to the current trading agreement between the UK Government and European Commission. This mean that there will be no extension to the 31 December 2022 deadline and CAA will no longer recognise EASA-issued licences from 1 January 2023 so all applications must be received by 31 December 2022.

Any application received after this date will not be considered.


Applications FAQs

I cancelled my EASA licence transfer; do I still hold a UK CAA licence?

Individuals that applied for the Doc155 transfer of their licence to an EASA member state but subsequently cancelled their application remain UK CAA licence holders.

In cases where the Doc155 has been sent, we will require written confirmation from the other regulatory authority that the licence transfer has not been completed, subsequently cancelling the application, before we are able to process further licensing requests.


I obtained my EASA licence after 31 December 2020, can I follow the EU-UK conversion process?

If you have previously held a UK CAA licence, then you can follow the EU-UK conversion process even where the licence was issued after 31 December 2020, as long as the licence is of the same level. Please note that pilots, instructors, and examiners who previously held a licence with the UK CAA and have had an EASA licence issued at a higher level since 1 January 2021 are not eligible to follow this route.

EASA licence holders applying for their first UK CAA licence can follow the EU-UK conversion process where their licence was issued by 31 December 2020.

EASA licence holders who are not eligible to follow the EU-UK conversion should email FCLweb@caa.co.uk (subject heading ‘Attention Tech: EU Conversion’) for further advice on how to obtain a UK Part-FCL. Requests are reviewed on a case-by-case basis to determine the training and testing needs to obtain a licence with the UK CAA


Can I keep my EASA licence if I transfer back to the UK CAA?

Yes. As the UK CAA is no longer part of the EASA system, a Part-FCL licence or certificate issued by an EASA member state can be held concurrently with a UK licence. There is no need to surrender your EASA privileges in order to obtain your UK licence, regardless of whether a licence has been held with the UK CAA previously.


I am not current on my EASA licence – can I still apply to convert?

Yes. There is no requirement to demonstrate currency or recency when obtaining the UK Part-FCL licence. However, the licence will be issued with any lapsed ratings endorsed on the reverse under the Ratings previously held by holder section.


Do I need to obtain a UK medical to convert my licence?

Yes, a valid UK medical certificate is required to issue the UK licence.

Previous UK licence holders, whose Class 1 or Class 2 medical has been obtained after 1 January 2021, may have their licence issued even where the medical has lapsed.

Further guidance on obtaining a UK Part-MED medical can be found here: https://www.caa.co.uk/Commercial-industry/Pilot-licences/Medical/Applying-for-a-UK-medical-certificate-if-you-have-SOLI-transferred-from-the-UK/.

Pilots obtaining their first UK CAA licence will be required to hold a current medical of the appropriate level to the licence being issued. Guidance on how to obtain a UK Part-MED medical is on our dedicated webpage: https://www.caa.co.uk/commercial-industry/pilot-licences/medical/obtaining-a-uk-medical-certificate-for-current-eu-licence-holders-who-have-never-held-a-uk-licence-medical/.


I hold/retained a UK national licence; can I continue to fly UK registered aircraft?

There is a distinction between a UK Part-FCL licence, and a UK national pilot’s licence issued under the ANO. Holders of a UK Part-FCL can fly UK registered Part 21 aircraft, whereas a national pilot’s licence is restricted to non-Part 21 aircraft operations, unless otherwise exempt.

UK Part 21 aircraft

Aircraft in this category are those that were previously managed by the European Union Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) and were considered as EASA types. These are regulated under UK Regulation (EU) 2018/1139 (known as the UK Basic Regulation) and its implementing regulations covering airworthiness, operations, flight crew licensing, etc.

UK non-Part 21 aircraft

Aircraft in this category are managed nationally under the UK Air Navigation Order.

Further information can be found here: https://www.caa.co.uk/general-aviation/aircraft-ownership-and-maintenance/aircraft-regulatory-framework-uk-part-21-aircraft-and-uk-non-part-21-aircraft/.


How do I obtain a UK Part-FCL after 31 December 2022?

The simplified conversion process ends on 31 December 2022, meaning that an EASA licence holder wishing to obtain a UK Part-FCL licence from 1 January 2023 will be required to meet the standard conversion terms from an ICAO licence.


What is the final date to submit an EU-UK conversion application?

All applications must be submitted no later than 31 December 2022. Any application received after this date will not be processed.


What happens if my EU-UK conversion application has not been completed by 31 December 2022?

Applications will continue to be processed after the 31 December 2022 deadline, as long as the application has been received by this date and the UK Part-FCL requirements have been met.


Can I fly UK registered aircraft on my EASA licence after 31 December 2022?

No. You will have to hold the relevant UK Part-FCL licence for the UK registered aircraft that you wish to operate. Applications must be submitted no later than 31 December 2022 to be considered.