The UK-EU trade deal, announced on 24 December 2020, includes agreements on air transport and aviation safety which are due to come into effect at 23.00 GMT on 31 December 2020 when the UK ceases to take part in the EU Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) and other EU institutions 

While the agreements involve some elements of continuity, they do not constitute a replication of the UK’s regulatory arrangements as part of the EASA/EU framework and many sections of the aviation and aerospace industries will face changes after 31 December, as this microsite sets out. 

We will study the detail of the new agreements and will update relevant pages of the microsite as information becomes clearer about how the new arrangements will work in practice. We will notify stakeholders of the updates through the SkyWise alert system. If you haven’t already done so, please subscribe to the EU exit category in the SkyWise system:

Part 147 organisations training engineers might need to take action to maximise stability for the aviation sector. Actions required would depend on individual circumstances and are a matter for each business and individual. This page sets out what you need to consider.


Would my UK Part-147 approval still be valid?

It would be valid in the UK but may not be recognised outside the UK. To continue to operate in the EU or train engineers for the EU market you may need to obtain a Part-147 approval from EASA.

EASA has said previously that it would accept third country applications from UK holders of Part 147 approvals. Organisations would need to decide whether, after the UK’s membership of the EASA system ceases at the end of the transition period and if there is no mutual recognition of safety certificates between the UK and European systems, they would wish to retain both a national and an EASA approval.

The CAA would intend to continue to recognise current (and valid) EASA certificates for an initial period of up to two years, but no decision has been made about validity after this period.


Would people who receive basic training or type training certificates at my organisation be able to add these items to a non-UK licence?

If you have a UK Part-147 approval which has issued certificate of recognitions (CofR) then these CofR’s may be used to support the issue of a basic licence category or addition of a type rating for UK licences only.

For basic or Type rating CofR issued by a UK company to be added to Part 66 licence issued by an EASA Member State, you would need to apply for an EASA Part-147 approval. Other states outside of the EASA member states may decide to accept training performed by CAA approved Part 147 organisations. Please contact the specific NAA directly as soon as possible.


UPDATE: I have students who have only completed some of the basic training modules. Would they be able to use these examinations when applying for an EU Part 66 licence?

You are advised to contact EASA and the NAA that will issue the licence as soon as possible to discuss the application process in this scenario. 

Organisations located in the UK who wish to continue providing basic training for EASA Part 66 licences will need to apply directly to EASA for Part 147 approval.

States located outside the EASA system may decide to accept training performed by CAA approved Part-147 organisations. Please contact the specific NAA directly for further details.



I have a non-UK Part 147 approval. Would certificates of recognition issued by my organisation still be valid in the UK?

Yes. The certificates of recognition would continue to be accepted for a period of up to two years after UK participation in EASA and mutual recognition of certificates ceased, if your Part 147 Approval was issued prior to this scenario coming into effect.