Following the UK’s exit from the EU on 31 January, a transition period will apply until 31 December 2020. During this period, the UK and the aviation sector will continue to follow EU law and to participate in the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) system. As a result, businesses and individuals operating in the UK should see no change to existing conditions during the transition period, while the longer-term UK-EU relationship on aviation is determined. Please see the homepage for further details.

A fuller outline of the position as the UK enters the transition period is available here. While the respective positions outlined in the UK Government and EU negotiating mandates indicate what both sides want in terms of future agreements on air transport and aviation safety and security, the conditions that will exist after the end of the transition period are still uncertain.


As the UK-EU negotiations move forward and more information becomes available, the CAA will update these FAQs and notify stakeholders of the updates through the SkyWise alert system. If you haven’t already done so, please subscribe to the EU exit category in the SkyWise system:

Declared entities and Non-Commercial Operations with Complex Motor-Powered Aircraft

After the UK’s membership of the EASA system ceases at the end of the transition period and if there is no mutual recognition of safety certificates between the UK and European systems, declared entities and non-commercial operations with complex motor-powered aircraft might need to take action. Actions required would depend on individual circumstances and are a matter for each entity to consider. This page sets out what you need to consider to prepare for such an eventuality.

All declarations made prior to this scenario taking effect would continue to be recognised by the UK within the scope of their activities.

Under the EU’s current, publicly declared position, UK CAA declarations would no longer be recognised by EU member states. However, they would retain validity under UK law.

Entities with a UK declaration seeking to conduct activities within the scope of their declarations in an EU member state should contact EASA or the appropriate competent authority to understand the requirements of that specific state.