The UK-EU trade deal, announced on 24 December 2020, includes agreements on air transport and aviation safety, which came into effect at 23.00 GMT on 31 December 2020 when the UK ceased taking part in the EU Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) and other EU institutions.

While the agreements involve some elements of continuity, they do not constitute a replication of the UK’s regulatory arrangements as part of the EASA/EU framework and many sections of the aviation and aerospace industries face changes after 31 December 2020, as this microsite sets out.

We will continue to notify stakeholders of the updates through the SkyWise alert system. If you haven’t already done so, please subscribe to the EU exit category in the SkyWise system:

Please note: While the CAA will continue to accept and process Part FCL transfer applications under existing EASA transfer arrangements until the transition period ends, the procedures adopted by the receiving NAA may vary between EU member states. Applicants should also consider engaging with their intended receiving NAA to identify any potential issues.

UPDATE: All complete transfer applications received by 1 October 2020 (the CAA’s published recommended submission date) have been processed and sent to the receiving NAA. Applications submitted after that date will continue to be processed in strict date order on a reasonable endeavours basis as they will be subject to the receiving NAA accepting the application. We are currently working on new applications received in early December 2020.

If you would like to receive an automated update on the status of your application you can do so by sending an email to In the subject line of your email please type ‘Medical’ for an update on your medical transfer application or ‘DOC155’ for an update on your licence transfer application. In the main body of the email please type your CAA licence reference number. Please remove all other text from the email before sending.

Commercial pilots (Part-FCL) may need to take action to ensure continuity of licence privilege in EASA Member States. Actions required will depend on individual circumstances and are a matter for each business and individual to consider. This page sets out what you need to consider.


Will I be able to continue operating UK-registered aircraft?

Yes, as a signatory State to the ICAO Chicago Convention, UK Part-FCL licences will continue to be legally valid for the operation of UK-registered aircraft. Any licence and/or certificate issued by the UK CAA after 31 December 2020 will not include references to the EU and EASA but those issued prior to that date stating EU and EASA within them will continue to be legally valid for the operation of UK-registered aircraft.


Will I still be able to use my UK-issued Licence, with EASA references on it, when operating UK-registered aircraft?

Yes. It is an ICAO-compliant licence and it will remain valid for operating UK-registered aircraft. The CAA will provide additional clarification providing a downloadable document online to support EASA format licence documents issued prior to 31 December 2020. See the 'Downloads' page of this microsite.


Will I be able to continue operating EU-registered aircraft with a UK Part-FCL licence?

UK-issued Part-FCL licences will not be valid to operate EU-registered aircraft.

To continue operating EU-registered aircraft, you may seek a licence validation from any of the EASA Competent Authorities under the requirements of Commission Delegated Regulation (EU) 2020/723, which would be valid for aircraft registered in any EASA Member State.  

We recommend that you speak to the relevant NAA as soon as possible about the process for achieving a validation of your UK issued Part-FCL licence.

Alternatively, you may undertake a conversion of you UK licence to an EASA licence under the requirements of Commission Delegated Regulation (EU) 2020/723 to an EASA Member State. And as the UK is now classed by EASA as a Third Country you would retain your UK Part-FCL licence.

An application cannot be supported by the UK until an application for licence verifications has been submitted to the CAA (see Verify your licence). supporting documentation and appropriate fees have been submitted. 


UPDATE: If I have transferred my licence to an EASA member state, can I be issued with a UK licence after the end of the transition period?

Yes. The CAA is currently developing a process to enable pilots to apply for the issue of a UK Part-FCL licence based on the licence they hold with an EASA member state. This will be available to pilots that previously held an EASA licence and transferred it out, and to pilots that hold a licence issued by an EASA member state prior to 31 December 2020. This will be available from 1 April 2021. We sent a SkyWise Alert on this in December, which can be viewed here.

In most instances, pilots will not immediately require a UK Part-FCL licence to enable them to fly a G-registered aircraft. Pilots that hold a current and valid licence issued by an EASA member state will be able to use the general validation, downloadable here


Will UK pilots’ medicals remain valid?

Yes. Medical certificates issued before the end of the transition period will remain valid, even if issued by a non-UK EASA Aeromedical Examiner (AME) or Aeromedical Centre (AeMC).

See the Aeromedical examiners/Medical certificates page on this microsite for further information.



UPDATE: Will I be able to continue operating UK-registered aircraft?

Yes. However, to continue operating UK-registered aircraft you will require a validation from the UK CAA. 

For EASA licences held or those which were in the process of being transferred by 31 December 2020, pilots can validate their licences for use in the UK for up to two years. A general validation document can be downloaded on our microsite here.  At the end of the two-year period, holders will require a UK licence to fly G-Reg aircraft in the UK


UPDATE: Can I seek a validation after end of the agreed transition period?

Yes, as above. The validation is now available for download on the ‘Downloads’ tab of this microsite. 


UPDATE: What do I need to do to convert an EU licence issued after 31 December 2020 for use in the UK system?

EASA licences issued after 31 December 2020 can be converted for use in the UK system under a process set out in Article 3 of the regulation: CAP2024A00: Aircrew Regulation 2020/723 (

Holders of EASA licences issued after 1 Jan 2021 are required to complete training as recommended by a UK ATO, complete all theory exams and a skill test with a UK examiner and to gain a UK medical certificate appropriate to that licence.

There are currently some limited ameliorations to these requirements in that recognition will be given to any theoretical exams taken in the EASA system prior to 31st December 2020, flight training conducted at an EASA ATO prior to 31 December 2022 and skill tests conducted by EASA examiners during this period.


UPDATE: Will the training I took under the European system be recognised for a UK licence?

Pilots with EASA licences issued after 1 January 2021 can obtain a UK licence that will give credit for any training undertaken in the European system within a two-year period.

In accordance with the EU Withdrawal Act, within two-years from 1 January 2021, training undertaken in the European system before 31 December 2020 will be accepted when issuing a UK licence. Any exams taken after 31 December will not be accepted.


UPDATE: What if I have only completed a partial set of exams in the EU system, would I need to re-do them in the UK system to obtain a UK licence?

Any student pilot who has taken a partial set of exams in the EU system up until 31 December 2020 and who wishes to apply for a UK licence will have to take all remaining theoretical examinations for a licence under the UK system.

The CAA will be required to verify as to the validity of EASA examinations and the attempts and sittings.

There will be an administration cost to such verification. 


UPDATE: What if I transferred into the EU system midway through my training, would I still be able to obtain a UK licence?

Any student pilot who transferred to the EU system half-way into their training and who wishes to apply for a UK licence will have to take UK theoretical examinations for any training taken after 31 December 2020.


UPDATE: When will the UK stop recognising all training and exams taken in the EU system?

After 31 December 2022, neither training in the EU system nor exams taken after 31 December 2020 will be accepted in the award of a UK licence.  


Will medicals certified by UK Aeromedical Examiners or Aeromedical Centres remain valid?

Certificates issued after 1 January 2021 by CAA-approved AMEs and AeMCs for EU pilot licences will no longer be considered valid. See the Aeromedical examiners and Medical Certificates page on this microsite for further information.



I have a UK validation of my third country licence. Will I still be able to operate EU-registered aircraft?

You will only be able to operate UK-registered aircraft with your UK-issued validation. 

You will need to seek a separate validation from an EASA Member State to continue operating EU-registered aircraft. You should contact the relevant NAA as soon as possible to discuss this scenario and actions you might need to take.


I have another EASA member state validation of my third country licence. Will I still be able to operate UK-registered aircraft?

A validation of a third country licence issued by an EASA Member State will cease to be valid for UK-registered aircraft. You will need to seek validation from the UK CAA to continue operating UK-registered aircraft. For more information, see here.



I am transferring my licence to another NAA and the transfer is not yet complete. I am intending to apply for a UK Part-FCL licence and I have a renewed rating. Who should I contact?

You should continue with your transfer-out application and wait until your licence has been issued by the other authority.  We recommend that you contact the new authority you are transferring to and notify them of your rating renewal. We are unable to change any of your licence details once your licensing records are in the process of a transfer.

You should not request any amendments to the UK issued licence, unless there is urgent operational need.

Once your transfer is complete, you are welcome to apply for EU-UK Part-FCL conversion.


I have changed my address whilst transferring my licence to another EASA state. Who should I notify?

You should notify the authority that will be issuing your new EASA licence.

As of 1 January 2021 the UK CAA is unable to re-issue any EASA licence even if it is to change the address.

If you wish to obtain a UK Part-FCL licence you will need to complete the transfer and then apply for an EU-UK Part-FCL conversion.


I submitted a type rating application and an DOC155 transfer application before 31 December 2020. I have now received a UK Part-FCL licence with the correct rating as well as my new EASA Part-FCL licence issued from the new member state with an expired rating. What should I do?

In this situation your UK Part-FCL must be surrendered because your EASA licence has been issued on the basis of UK Licence. Until your UK licence is surrendered the transfer is not complete.

You should contact the new Authority and apply for a rating to be renewed on your EASA licence.

Once you are satisfied that all ratings are correctly endorsed an EU-UK Part-FCL conversion process should be followed to obtain UK Part-FCL licence.


I have applied to the IAA for my DOC155 transfer before 31 December 2020 but I did not apply to the UK CAA. Will my licence transfer still be processed?

Unfortunately, if you did not apply for the DOC155 process with us before 31 December 2020 we are unable to process your DOC155 request. If your medical details have been sent to the IAA, it will have to be re-called by UK CAA Medical department.


Can the UK CAA assess my rating application without issuing it onto my licence?

For any rating for which there is a conversion report, such as BFCL BPL we will be able to assess the application and confirm to the EASA state that the requirements have been met and not issue a UK Part-FCL licence. You will need to apply and pay for a verification in order for us to be able to release this information.

For any other ratings, such as type rating, where the normal requirements have been met you will have to meet the requirements as per the EASA member state you are transferring to and have them assess the requirements. 


Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

UK CAA sent my DOC 155 to my new NAA in 2020 and I have just realised that a rating had expired but it’s now renewed. What should I do?

You will have to contact your new authority and follow their requirements and application process in order to have the rating endorsed.


I applied to transfer my medical but I never applied for the DOC 155 transfer and I wish to have a rating added to my licence. Can I do this?

If you have not yet been issued with a new Part-FCL licence by an EASA member state, you are classed as a UK licence holder and UK CAA Medical department will have to recall SOLI details.

Once UK CAA Medical department can confirm that all your medical details are on our system you can apply for a rating as normal.

 If you have been issued with a new Part-FCL licence by EASA member state then you will have to use EU-UK Part-FCL conversion process to obtain UK Part-FCL licence after which you can apply for a rating as normal.