The UK-EU trade deal, announced on 24 December 2020, includes agreements on air transport and aviation safety which are due to come into effect at 23.00 GMT on 31 December 2020 when the UK ceases to take part in the EU Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) and other EU institutions.

While the agreements involve some elements of continuity, they do not constitute a replication of the UK’s regulatory arrangements as part of the EASA/EU framework and many sections of the aviation and aerospace industries will face changes after 31 December, as this microsite sets out.

We will study the detail of the new agreements and will update relevant pages of the microsite as information becomes clearer about how the new arrangements will work in practice. We will notify stakeholders of the updates through the SkyWise alert system. If you haven’t already done so, please subscribe to the EU exit category in the SkyWise system:


Please note: While the CAA will continue to accept and process Part FCL transfer applications under existing EASA transfer arrangements until the transition period ends, the procedures adopted by the receiving NAA may vary between EU member states. Applicants should also consider engaging with their intended receiving NAA to identify any potential issues.

UPDATE: All complete transfer applications received by 1 October 2020 (the CAA’s published recommended submission date) have been processed and sent to the receiving NAA. Applications submitted after that date will continue to be processed in strict date order on a reasonable endeavours basis as they will be subject to the receiving NAA accepting the application. We are currently working on new applications received in early December 2020.

If you would like to receive an automated update on the status of your application you can do so by sending an email to In the subject line of your email please type ‘Medical’ for an update on your medical transfer application or ‘DOC155’ for an update on your licence transfer application. In the main body of the email please type your CAA licence reference number. Please remove all other text from the email before sending.

Commercial pilots (Part-FCL) may need to take action to ensure continuity of licence privilege in EASA Member States. Actions required will depend on individual circumstances and are a matter for each business and individual to consider. This page sets out what you need to consider.


Will I be able to continue operating UK-registered aircraft?

Yes, as a signatory State to the Chicago Convention, UK Part-FCL licences will continue to be legally valid for the operation of UK-registered aircraft. Any licence and or certificate issued by the UK CAA after 31 December 2020 will not include references to the EU and EASA but those issued prior to that date stating EU and EASA within them will continue to be legally valid for the operation of UK-registered aircraft.


Will I still be able to use my UK-issued Licence, with EASA references on it, when operating UK-registered aircraft?

Yes. It is an ICAO-compliant licence and it will remain valid for operating UK-registered aircraft. The CAA will provide additional clarification providing a downloadable document online to support EASA format licence documents issued prior to 31 December 2020. See the 'Downloads' page of this microsite.


Will I be able to continue operating EU-registered aircraft with a UK Part-FCL licence?

UK-issued Part-FCL licences will not be valid to operate EU-registered aircraft.

To continue operating EU-registered aircraft, you may seek a licence validation from any of the EASA Competent Authorities, which would be valid for aircraft registered in any EASA Member State.  

We recommend that you speak to the relevant NAA as soon as possible about the process for achieving a validation of your UK issued Part-FCL licence.

Alternatively, you may undertake a State of Licence Issue transfer. This means transferring your licence from the UK to an EASA member state.

To transfer a Part FCL to a new State of Licence, a request to transfer your licence and a separate request to transfer your medical records must be submitted to the CAA. In addition, a request to become the applicant’s new State of Licence must be submitted to the receiving NAA. 

An application cannot be progressed until all three of these requests along with supporting documentation and appropriate fees have been submitted. 


UPDATE: If I have transferred my licence to an EASA member state, can I be issued with a UK licence after the end of the transition period?

Yes. The CAA is currently developing a process to enable pilots to apply for the issue of a UK Part-FCL licence based on the licence they hold with an EASA member state. This will be available to pilots that previously held an EASA licence and transferred it out, and to pilots that hold a licence issued by an EASA member state prior to 31 December 2020. This will be available from 1 April 2021. We sent a SkyWise Alert on this in December, which can be viewed here.

In most instances, pilots will not immediately require a UK Part-FCL licence to enable them to fly a G-registered aircraft. Pilots that hold a current and valid licence issued by an EASA member state will be able to use the general validation, downloadable here


I am currently studying in the UK for my Part-FCL exams which are due to conclude before 1 January 2021. Could I change the state of my licence after this time?

This will be dependent on the NAA that you are planning to transfer your licence to. The CAA will use its reasonable endeavours to support such requests.


How much does a State of Licence transfer cost?

That is dependent on the NAA you proposed to move to and its associated scheme of charges.

To transfer out from the CAA there is a charge of £45.00 for the processing of a change of State of Licence Issue and a charge of £105.00 pounds for the transfer of medical records.

Payment for the change of State of Licence Issue will be taken on receipt of the form SRG2150.

Payment for the transfer of medical details you will need to complete form SRG1202.

Further information concerning the process can be found on the CAA website under Changing the State of Licence issue.


I am currently studying for my Part-FCL at a UK training organisation. Will EASA recognise this if I receive my licence after 31 December 2020?

If you are currently training for your commercial pilot licence to be issued by any NAA other than the UK, we recommend you speak to your NAA as soon as possible about how the training you have undertaken would be recognised. 

The European Commission has stated recently that:

Under Regulation (EU) No 1178/2011 and in particular the second point of Appendix 3 of that regulation, a transfer from one (EASA) Approved Training Organisations (ATO) to another is possible. However, there is no exception as regards the requirement that all theoretical training exams must be taken in the same Member State. Consequently, if all the theory exams have been completed before the withdrawal date and if the change to another ATO located in the EU is done before the withdrawal date, the students will retain the credit for those theory exams performed in the UK for the normal duration of 3 years and may thus complete their training in another EU Member State.


Will UK pilots’ medicals remain valid?

Yes. Medical certificates issued before the end of the transition period will remain valid, even if issued by a non-UK EASA Aeromedical Examiner (AME) or Aeromedical Centre (AeMC).

See the Aeromedical examiners/Medical certificates page on this microsite for further information.


I have a licence application currently in progress with the CAA. Will I receive an EASA Part-FCL or a UK Part-FCL?

The CAA will continue to process your application and if the process was completed by 31 December 2020, you will be issued with an EASA Part FCL. For processes completed after that date, a UK Part FCL licence would be issued. Both formats of licences would be fully ICAO-compliant and valid for operating UK-registered aircraft.


What if I wish to submit variation requests to my new NAA or advise of changes to my medical or professional status?

The CAA retains responsibility for oversight of your medical and professional records until your new Part FCL is issued, and therefore changes or variation requests should be sent to the CAA up to this point.  Changes to medical status should be advised to the CAA by the transfer applicant’s AME. The CAA will pass on variation information to the receiving NAA, and applicants should check that this has been incorporated in their new Part FCL when it is issued. Applicants are advised to minimise variation requests as far as possible as they may delay the transfer process, and also that some receiving NAAs may require the re-submission of Doc155/Med SOLI transfer paperwork with the variation details incorporated, along with the accompanying fees.  



UPDATE: Will I be able to continue operating UK-registered aircraft?

Yes. However, to continue operating UK-registered aircraft you will require a validation from the UK CAA. 

For EASA licences held or those which were in the process of being transferred by 31 December 2020, pilots can validate their licences for use in the UK for up to two years. A general validation document can be downloaded on our microsite here.  At the end of the two-year period, holders will require a UK licence to fly G-Reg aircraft in the UK.


UPDATE: Can I seek a validation after end of the agreed transition period?

Yes, as above. The validation is now available for download on the ‘Downloads’ tab of this microsite. 


UPDATE: What do I need to do to convert an EU licence issued after 31 December 2020 for use in the UK system?

EASA licences issued after 31 December 2020 can be converted for use in the UK system under a process set out in Article 3 of the regulation: CAP2024A00: Aircrew Regulation 2020/723 ( Holders of EASA licences issued after 1 Jan 2021 are required to complete training as recommended by a UK ATO, complete all theory exams and a skill test with a UK examiner and to gain a UK medical certificate appropriate to that licence. There are currently some limited ameliorations to these requirements in that recognition will be given to any theoretical exams taken in the EASA system prior to 31st December 2020, flight training conducted at an EASA ATO prior to 31 December 2022 and skill tests conducted by EASA examiners during this period.”


UPDATE: Will the training I took under the European system be recognised for a UK licence?

Pilots with EASA licences issued after 1 January 2021 can obtain a UK licence that will give credit for any training undertaken in the European system within a two-year period. In accordance with the EU Withdrawal Act, within two-years from 1 January 2021, training undertaken in the European system before 31 December 2020 will be accepted when issuing a UK licence. Any exams taken after 31 December will not be accepted.


UPDATE: What if I have only completed a partial set of exams in the EU system, would I need to re-do them in the UK system to obtain a UK licence?

Any student pilot who has taken a partial set of exams in the EU system up until 31 December 2020 and who wishes to apply for a UK licence will have to take all remaining theoretical examinations for a licence under the UK system.

The CAA will be required to verify as to the validity of EASA examinations and the attempts and sittings, there will be an administration cost to such verification. 


UPDATE: What if I transferred into the EU system midway through my training, would I still be able to obtain a UK licence?

Any student pilot who transferred to the EU system half-way into their training and who wishes to apply for a UK licence will have to take UK theoretical examinations for any training taken after 31 December 2020.


UPDATE: When will the UK stop recognising all training and exams taken in the EU system?

After 31 December 2022, neither training in the EU system nor exams taken after 31 December 2020 will be accepted in the award of a UK licence.  


Will medicals certified by UK Aeromedical Examiners or Aeromedical Centres remain valid?

Certificates issued after 1 January 2021 by CAA-approved AMEs and AeMCs for EU pilot licences will no longer be considered valid. See the Aeromedical examiners and Medical Certificates page on this microsite for further information.



I have a UK validation of my third country licence. Will I still be able to operate EU-registered aircraft?

You will only be able to operate UK-registered aircraft with your UK-issued validation. 

You will need to seek a separate validation from an EASA Member State to continue operating EU-registered aircraft. You should contact the relevant NAA as soon as possible to discuss this scenario and actions you might need to take.


I have another EASA member state validation of my third country licence. Will I still be able to operate UK-registered aircraft?

A validation of a third country licence issued by an EASA Member State will cease to be valid for UK-registered aircraft. You will need to seek validation from the UK CAA to continue operating UK-registered aircraft. For more information, see here.