If no deal is agreed between the EU and the UK, continued airworthiness management organisations (CAMO – Part-M) might need to take action to maximise continuity and stability for the aviation sector. Actions required would depend on individual circumstances and are a matter for each business and individual to consider. This page sets what you need to consider to prepare for such an eventuality.


Would my UK Part-M approval allow me to continue managing non-UK registered aircraft?

You would only be able to manage non-UK-registered aircraft if you are approved by the state of registry or EASA for aircraft registered in the EASA Member states.


Would operators require new Certificates of Airworthiness and Airworthiness Review Certificates (ARCs)?

Operators would not require new certificates immediately after exit from the EU. The CAA is looking into how it would replace certificates issued under EASA rules. More information on processes and timing will be available in due course.


Who would issue noise certificates?

These would be issued by the UK CAA.


If my UK-registered aircraft is managed by a Continuing Airworthiness Management Organisation (CAMO) located in an EASA member state would my ARC remain valid after exit day? Do I have to move my aircraft management to a UK Part-M approved organisation?

Your ARC would remain valid until expiry. You may continue to use a CAMO located in an EASA member state or in a third country if approved by EASA for up to two years following exit day. After this point in time you would need to ensure that your aircraft is managed by a UK approved CAMO organisation. New ARCs may only be issued by the CAA following receipt of a recommendation from a CAMO.


My maintenance programme is owned/controlled by a CAMO located in an EASA member state. Would the ARC still be valid?

Your maintenance programme approval remains valid if it was approved prior to exit day. Any subsequent amendments would need to be approved by the CAA or by an organisation approved by the CAA.


UPDATE: What form of release should be provided for components and services received from UK approved organisations once the UK leaves the EU?

In a no-deal scenario, once the UK has left the EU, UK approved Production and Maintenance organisation would issue UK Form 1s for both the components and services they provide. Member states would continue to issue EASA Form 1s and these would be accepted during the transitional period.


UPDATE: What would the CAA Form 1 look like?

A sample template is available here: CAA Form 1.

As can be seen, the technical information remains unchanged. The form is to be completed in accordance with the existing instructions and AMC/GM with the exception that the Authority information in the header and the Form Reference itself (CAA Form 1 rather than EASA Form 1) will change.


UPDATE: Would an aircraft transferring from an EASA state to the UK need an Export Certificate of Airworthiness issued by the local NAA?

The CAA would continue to accept an Airworthiness Review Certificate (ARC) as a transfer document in place of an Export Certificate of Airworthiness if dated before the day the UK leaves the EU. Where the ARC is dated after that date, the CAA would require an Export Certificate of Airworthiness.

If an aircraft is transferring from the UK to an EASA state it would be up to the receiving NAA to detail the transfer requirements.


UPDATE: Could an EU-approved Part-M organisation manage a UK-registered aircraft and issue/extend an Airworthiness Review Certificate?

A Part-M organisation approved by another Member State would be able to manage UK-registered aircraft and issue/extend ARC for a period of up to two years after the date the UK leaves the EU.


UPDATE: How would the UK’s exit from the EU affect the application of Airworthiness Directives for the UK-registered aircraft that I own, operate or manage?

All EU regulations applicable at the point of UK exit would be retained in UK domestic legislation in a no-deal scenario, including Regulation (EU) No 1321/2014, Part M. This means owners, operators and Continuing Airworthiness Management Organisations (CAMOs) would continue to review and apply applicable Airworthiness Directives to their respective fleets based on requirements for the aircraft and its engines, propellers and equipment as set out in CAP 747 Mandatory Requirements for Airworthiness, Airworthiness Directives issued or adopted by EASA, plus any Airworthiness Directives notified by the State of Design.

You can view CAP 747 here: http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP747_21JUL17_BM.pdf


UPDATE: Some of the regulation references in CAP 747 have been repealed, typically references to Regulation (EU) 216/2008 concerning EASA and non-EASA aircraft. Where can I find the latest information?

The CAA is aware that CAP 747 currently has some out-of-date references and is in the process of updating the document. Reference to superseded or amended regulations should be taken to mean the current version of the applicable regulation in force. The CAA will ensure any mandatory requirements for UK-registered aircraft are reflected within CAP 747 and also made available via the CAA website Airworthiness Directive page. For enquiries relating to ADs, please email ad.unit@caa.co.uk